sábado, 10 de diciembre de 2011

Las Canarias!

Reggie and me with the Dragon Tree in Icod de los Vinos
  It was a last minute decision; two days before we left Reggie and I decided to spend a week on a little island off the coast of Africa!
   The Canary Islands are so beautiful. They remind me so much of Hawaii, also being volcanic and totally badass. We spent the week with another couple hiking around Tenerife (the island) and Teide (the biggest volcano, and highest point in Spain). We hiked down and around the valleys that have been created from the lava flow, checked out the little cool towns around the island and spent a few days on the beach. Surprisingly it wasn't nearly as hot as we had originally planned. Which wasn't the best beach weather, but it was perfect for hiking and exploring.
view from our hotel

  I was hoping to learn more about the Canarian culture like I had the opportunity to do so in Hawaii, but it was harder to come by. The island is so overrun by the British (surprise surprise), so we spent the whole week speaking in English. I feel like I am slowly forgetting all that I have worked so hard to learn!
Volcano Teide on the left!
  Reggie and I wanted to rent surf boards one of the days, but my shoulder is still totally screwed up from climbing a few weeks ago. I keep forgetting I have the opportunity to take advantage of free health care here, so I plan on going to the doctor on Monday with a little help from my Spanish roommate, Fanny. I just realized I still don't have any pictures of my two roommates on my blog! They went away this weekend... but soon I'll have pictures up of them, don't fret.
  It's hard to put into words how amazing Tenerife really is. From Tenerife we could see the sunrise over Gran Canaria (island to the east) and the sun set behind Gomera (other island to west)! I feel so lucky to have been able to go. Next time I will bring all my climbing gear, there is a ton to explore and climb all around the island!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario